Donald Trump Twitter account locked for 12 hours with President told to remove 3 posts

Donald Trump’s Twitter account has been locked

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

Donald Trump's Twitter account has been locked for 12 hours with the US President told to remove three posts related to the deadly Capitol riots.

The social media platform has also threatened to permanently suspend the Republican leader's account if there are any more violations in future.

It came after the billionaire businessman turned politician posted a series of mixed messages as the unrest continued into Wednesday evening – with one woman having been shot dead.

His final tweet falsely claimed his "landslide victory" over Democratic rival Joe Biden had been "unceremoniously & viciously stripped away".

Pro-Trump supporters storm the U.S. Capitol following a rally
(Image: Getty Images)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Woman shot in US Capitol protests dies as officials say building now secure

Read More
Related Articles


  • Horrifying moment gunfire erupts inside US Capitol as Trump rioters clash with police

In reality, Biden won the Electoral College while gaining seven million more votes than Trump on his way to receiving the most ballots of any US President-elect ever.

Trump had previously encouraged supporters to descend on Washington with Congress due to complete proceedings to officially name Biden as the 46th President.

In his final tweet before being shutdown, he implied violence was inevitable, writing "these are the things and events that happen".

He said: "These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide victory is so unceremoniously and viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly and unfairly treated for so long.

"Go home with love and in peace. Remember this day forever!"

Trump's account was suspended following a flurry of tweets which were deemed to incite violence

The tweet was swiftly axed, while the retweet, like and reply functions on a video which featured the President deemed to have further incited violence were also removed – and Facebook deleted the clip entirely.

In the video, Trump addressed his supporters, whose clashes with police forced a lockdown at the US Capitol building.

He told protesters that they "have to go home now", adding "we don't want anybody hurt", but he also reiterated that "this was a fraudulent election".

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Click to play
Tap to play

The video will auto-play soon8Cancel

Play now

Twitter added a warning to the video, which read: "This claim of election fraud is disputed, and this tweet can't be replied to, retweeted, or liked due to a risk of violence".

The US Capitol building was overwhelmed by mobs of Trump supporters, with protesters even breaking into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office in unprecedented scenes.

The @TwitterSafety account also tweeted: "In regard to the ongoing situation in Washington, D.C., we are working proactively to protect the health of the public conversation occurring on the service and will take action on any content that violates the Twitter Rules."

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Click to play
Tap to play

The video will auto-play soon8Cancel

Play now

It continued: "In addition, we have been significantly restricting engagement with tweets labelled under our civic integrity policy due to the risk of violence.

"This means these labelled tweets will not be able to be replied to, retweeted, or liked."

Trump's video was viewed more than 10 million times in less than an hour on Twitter.

Facebook's vice president of integrity Guy Rosen, meanwhile, tweeted that Mr Trump's video had been removed entirely from their platform.

"This is an emergency situation and we are taking appropriate emergency measures, including removing President Trump's video," he tweeted.

"We removed it because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence."

The chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee on Wednesday urged Facebook Inc and Twitter Inc to remove Trump from the social media platforms completely.

Democrat Frank Pallone wrote: "Enough is enough! Trump is inciting violence and spreading dangerous misinformation that is undermining our democracy and our way of life.

"Social media continues to amplify his anti-democratic rhetoric. It's time for @jack and Mark Zuckerberg to remove Trump from their platforms."

You may also like...