Laverne Cox says ‘it’s not safe if you’re a trans person’ after attack
Publishedduration1 hour agoshareSharenocloseShare pagelinkCopy linkAbout sharingimage copyrightGetty Imagesimage captionLaverne Cox said she had "been harassed and bullied my whole life"
Orange is the New Black star Laverne Cox has said "it's not safe if you're a trans person" after being caught up in a transphobic attack in Los Angeles.
Cox posted a 10-minute Instagram video explaining she had been walking with a friend in a park on Sunday when a man "aggressively" asked for the time.
He then proceeded to ask the friend if Cox was a "guy or girl?"
The man then physically attacked her friend, according to the star, who said she was "still in shock".
"The guy is like hitting my friend, and then my friend is going toward him," said Cox.
"I pull out my phone and I call to dial 911, and all of a sudden it's over and the guy is gone."
- 'Transphobic bullies nearly cost me my life'
- Orange Is The New Black to end
She added: "The guy really wanted me to answer so that he could spook whether I'm trans or not. I don't know why it matters. At the end of the day, it's like who cares?
"I'm in a hoodie and yoga pants, I'm completely covered up, I've got my mask on. Who cares if I'm trans? How does this affect your life?"