Brit fell to his death from airport barrier ‘moments after being asked to leave plane’

Andrew Westlake, 29, jumped over a barrier at Dalaman Airport in May 2018 (Image: Westlake family)

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A British tourist died in a fall at an airport after being asked to leave a plane that was due to take him home, an inquest has heard.

Andrew Westlake, 29, jumped over a barrier at Dalaman Airport in May 2018.

Witnesses claim he jumped over the ledge inside the terminal, after saying he "just wanted it to end."

The young father, from Annfield Plain, County Durham, had been on holiday with family members but was asked to leave their hotel after a series of rows, the hearing was told.

He went to the Honorary British Consulate in the resort of Marmaris and was said to have been refused re-entry to the hotel.

Mr Westlake is said to have had no money and had wanted to go to the airport, despite the fact his flight home was not for three days.

The inquest in Crook, County Durham, was told he was given a small amount of money from a charity to pay for food and his bus fare to the airport.

Dalaman airport, where Mr Westlake died

Read More
Related Articles

  • Evil mum 'cut her baby with razor blades and injected bleach into tot's veins'

Read More
Related Articles

  • Nurse loses custody of son, 5, after court rules her job is a coronavirus risk

Mr Westlake boarded the flight at around 3am and is said to have become involved in an argument with cabin crew.

The pilot then ordered him off the plane as a risk to flight safety.

Nicole Bell, Mr Westlake's partner, was on the flight when he was asked to leave, but she was not sitting with him.

She did not see what happened when he was removed from the plane, coroner James Thompson was told.

Zuhal Mete, a Jet2 customer co-ordinator at Dalaman Airport, said she first met Mr Westlake when he was brought off the aircraft, but she later found out he had been at the airport for two days.

She said Mr Westlake looked scared and was "begging" her co-worker, saying "please don't hit me".

The colleague told her Mr Westlake was asked to leave the plane because he had been acting strangely and another passenger was "not happy" because of the behaviour.

Ms Mete said he had asked another passenger to help him through security, saying: "Please hold my passport because I cannot do it myself."

And on the plane he complained about the air conditioning, saying he did not like the smell and it was "dangerous", the inquest heard.

The Turkish customer co-ordinator met him at the air bridge and said Mr Westlake seemed drunk at first, but she could not smell alcohol on him.

Ms Mete said they offered him help to find accommodation and to call his family from their office, but she did not see him again once he was back in the main terminal.

She later received a phone call from police, after Mr Westlake had fallen, in which the officer said the Brit had been seen trying to get in the military airbase next to the airport, and he was brought back to the terminal.

The hearing continues.

The Samaritans is available 24/7 if you need to talk. You can contact them for free by calling 116 123, email  [email protected]  or head to the  website  to find your nearest branch. You matter.

You may also like...