Pregnant mum left homeless weeks before due date after shower caught fire

She is currently sleeping on a friend’s sofa

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A young mother who is seven months pregnant has been left homeless just weeks before she is due to give birth after a shower in her home caught fire.

Brogan Delvin, 26 from North Belfast, was at a play park with her three-year-old daughter Esmee when the shower in her Housing Executive home burst into flames.

Now sleeping on a sofa at a friend’s house, Brogan, says she needs to find somewhere to live fast as she faces giving birth to a little boy within weeks.

"I feel abandoned, I feel frightened for the future and very upset that I potentially could be giving birth to my baby with nowhere to live when I get out of hospital," she told Belfast Live.

She said: "I’m devastated. I’d everything organised for Christmas, all the presents bought, the house beautifully decorated and Santa knew what presents Esmee wanted.

"She will be four this week and what was once our home is gutted, all the furniture and clothes are ruined from smoke and we have been left homeless.

Are you a struggling parent? Email [email protected]

She had everything organised for Christmas

Read More
Related Articles


  • Get the day's biggest stories to your email – sign up for the Mirror newsletter

Read More
Related Articles


  • Mum suffered 'napalm-like' burns to face in Ladies Day piping hot pie attack

"We can’t stay in the house because there’s no electricity, running water or heat. The Housing Executive got a few people round to clean up after the fire but it’s as bad as ever.

"We had to leave. I’m stressed out. I keep worrying about what might have happened."

She continued: "I’m seven months pregnant and finding it hard to get about at the moment because I have SPD which is symphysis pubis which means my pelvic joints are very painful all the time.

The damage left by the fire
(Image: Belfast Live WS)

“What if the shower had gone on fire while Esmee and I’d been sleeping? I am just so shocked by the whole thing.

"And now we’re homeless and sleeping on a sofa at a friend’s house.”

Brogan who works at a gym in Belfast, contacted the Northern Ireland Housing Executive to get help.

Now checks are under way of showers at 5,000 Housing Executive homes after hers burst into flames, Belfast Live reports.

Brogan says the shower burst into flames
(Image: Belfast Live WS)

She said: "Last Sunday I’d had a shower about 2pm and then I’d taken Esmee to Funworks to play and we were walking down the street in Ardoyne, when I saw two fire engines.

"Then I realised they were outside our house on Ladbrook Drive outside our house and I nearly fainted.

"There were people everywhere and I was so shocked a neighbour had to take me and Esmee in and look after us.

"I found out later she had heard my carbon monoxide alarm going off and called for help. They think the shower had been smoldering and then burst into flames.

"The place was a mess with black soot everywhere and it stinks. The gas, water and electric were turned off by the Fire Service.

Brogan Devlin, who is 7 months pregnant, with daughter Esmee

Read More
Related Articles


  • 'Mr Christmas' dies on eve of turning on his lights – so daughter does it for him

"Esmee has asthma and I feel very frightened to go back in there. I just feel very traumatised.

"I have contacted the NIHE and my tenancy has ended. I have to find somewhere suitable to live through no fault of my own.

“Our wee house was like a palace but now it’s ruined and we’re homeless. I explained to the Housing Executive that I’m seven months pregnant and suffering from a pelvic condition and I need somewhere to be safe with my daughter and the new baby.

“We can’t stay in the house because there’s no electricity, running water or heat"
(Image: Belfast Live WS)

"They said I might be able to get accommodation in a hostel."

She added: "I was told I had to wait in the house for various inspections with no light, no heat and no way to know how safe the house was. I had to leave it.

"But now Esmee and I are homeless and devastated. She keeps asking me how Santa will know where to find her because she’s out of her home. I just need some help. "

The mum says the fire was not her fault
(Image: Belfast Live WS)

"I’d done a lot of work in my house and now it’s all gone to nothing because we had to get out for our own safety."

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive said they have "instigated a joint programme to inspect homes where a specific model of shower unit has been installed" following the incident.

A spokesperson said: "We want to reassure our tenants that their health and safety is paramount.

"Following the incident last week, we have moved to identify potential showers that could be affected and over the course of the next weeks, we will notify those tenants whose homes have had these shower units installed from 2014 to 2016.

"This potential issue only affects a single, individual shower, the Safeguard + unit, produced from May 2014 to December 2016 and only causes problems in a very small percentage of cases.

"Engineers from Triton provide an internal fix for the shower unit on site so these units do not need to be removed.

"We will be in contact with tenants, but if anyone is concerned they can check the shower unit themselves."

You may also like...