Woman falls on Snowdonia sparking 7 hour rescue mission to be airlifted to hospital

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will start in8CancelPlay now

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A woman has been airlifted to hospital after she slipped over while walking in Snowdonia, sparking a seven-hour rescue mission.

The woman, in her 40s, fell over on Cader Idris, near Dolgellau in the Gwynedd range.

She slipped and hit her head while crossing the summit plateau between the Pen y Gader and Mynydd Moel peaks on the mountain in Snowdonia and was "bleeding profusely" when she was found.

Aberdyfi Search and Rescue Team were called to the scene shortly after 1pm, though it was understood it would take volunteers more than an hour to reach the casualty, reports North Wales Live.

Air support from the Coastguard Helicopter Rescue936 was requested but the aircraft was forced to turn back due to poor weather conditions on the mountain.

It took 7 hours in total to get everyone safely off the mountain
(Image: aberdyfiSART/Twitter)

Read More
Related Articles

  • Brits with two negative coronvirus tests in a week could be given 'freedom pass'

Read More
Related Articles

  • Teen, 18, crashes into house and drives off with their front door in his windscreen

The injured woman was reached on foot by search and rescue volunteers instead, who found her "bleeding profusely" – with the casualty and her partner described as "anxious, cold and wet."

The team determined she was unable to walk off the mountain and placed her in a casualty bag on a stretcher for warmth – ahead of the "prolonged and very difficult" journey down to Minffordd.

Helicopter aircraft was requested during the descent and although unable to reach the stretcher party, the aircraft managed to land nearby – with the casualty winched aboard the vehicle.

The woman fell and hit her head while walking
(Image: aberdyfiSART/Twitter)

The injured woman was flown to Ysbyty Gwynedd for further assessment and treatment.

A total of 32 team volunteers were involved in the mountain rescue operation – which took seven hours.

Aberdyfi Search and Rescue Team said everyone was safely off the hill by 8pm.

A spokesman said: "Without the repeated attempts in difficult conditions by R936 to assist this rescue, the team faced a long and very challenging carry down the mountain in the dark.

"As it was, rescuers had been attending this incident for seven hours, and without the air-lift it would have continued for a fair number more."

You may also like...