Man killed in shark attack off popular tourist beach – people told to stay out of water

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will start in8CancelPlay now

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A man was killed in a shark attack off a popular beach in Western Australia, according to local media.

The man was recovered from the water off Broome's Cable Beach on the north coast and treated by local police officers before an ambulance arrived, Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) television said.

Cable Beach, a 14 mile stretch of white sand beach, was closed after the incident on Sunday.

People were urged to stay away as authorities searched for the shark.

It is believed to have been seen and shot at earlier in the day but not yet captured or killed.

Tourists Rikki and Stewart Elsing told ABC news they were woken up by the sound of sirens "screeching" towards the beach.

People were warned to stay away
(Image: ABC)

Cable Beach, a 14 mile stretch of white sand beach
(Image: ABC)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Get the day's biggest stories to your email – sign up for the Mirror newsletter

Ms Elsing said they "were quite shocked".

"It didn't cross my mind it was a shark attack because I don't think there's been one up here for years," Mr Elsing added.

He said: "You get a lot of reef sharks and shovel-nosed rays, things like that, and hammerheads.

The beach was closed after the incident on Sunday
(Image: ABC)

Broome does not have a significant history of shark attacks (file photo)
(Image: Getty Images)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Shark bite leaves surfer, 17, watching 'sea fill with blood' as he tries to flee

"To have something like this is unusual and really devastating."

WA Premier Mark McGowan described the incident as traumatic and unexpected.

He extended his thoughts to the victim's family.

The victim has not yet been named.

Broome does not have a significant history of shark attacks.

This year is Australia's deadliest year for shark attacks since 2014, with eight deaths recorded to date.

The most recent person to die from a shark attack in Oz was Andrew Sharpe, 52 who was attacked while surfing with friends at Kelp Beds in Western Australia.

Experts believe cooler water temperatures are behind an increased number of unprovoked and deadly suspected great white shark attacks since January – the highest for 86 years.

You may also like...