Wipeout contestant collapses and dies after completing TV assault course

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will start in8CancelPlay nowSign up to FREE email alerts from MirrorcelebsSubscribeWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A constestant has collapsed and died after competing on Wipeout and later complaining of chest pains.

Medics rushed to the Sable Ranch in Canyon Country, California, where the USA version of the show is filmed, but were unable to save the the man who later died in hospital.

The contestant was on set – but was not on the obstacle course itself – when he fell ill.

On-set medics offered assistance at the scenes, before paramedics rushed him to hospital where he later died.

A contestant on the USA version of Wipeout has died
(Image: BBC / Initial)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Mirror celebs newsletter – all the juiciest hot gossip direct to your inbox

Read More
Related Articles


  • TV actor hits back when un-muted director insults his flat in Zoom audition

TMZ reported the tragic news, stating: “Our law enforcement sources tell us they got a cardiac arrest call just before noon Wednesday, and medics on set had already started using a defibrillator on the contestant, who was experiencing chest pains after completing the course.”

The report also stated: "We're told the contestant was taken to a hospital, where he later died."

Contestants on the hit show are said to undergo medical examinations before taking part on the show.

While two paramedics are said to be on standby on the set of the show at all times, and a safety producer and paramedic coordinator also work on the show.

Total Wipeout in the UK was presented by Richard Hammond and Amanda Byram
(Image: ©Slphotosports)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Strictly romance rumours heat up as HRVY plans dinner date with Maisie Smith

A TBS spokesperson told The New York Post on Friday: “We are devastated to have learned of his passing, and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.”

While a spokesperson for Endemol Shine North America said: “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family, and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

Wipeout originally aired in the USA on ABC from 2008 to 2014 – with a reboot of the show announced for TBS earlier this year.

Hollywood star John Cena, comedienne Nicole Byer and model and presenter Camille Kostek are helming the rebooted series.

Filming was cancelled on Thursday and Friday following the contestant death – while cameras had already been due to stop filming next week due to Thanksgiving celebrations.

The New York Post reports that the show will continue filming the following week after the conclusion of the USA national holiday.

A UK version of the show, titled Total Wipeout, aired on the BBC between 2009 and 2012, hosted by Top Gear star Richard Hammond and Irish presenter Amanda Byram.

Cricket star Freddie Flintoff and Take Me Out host Paddy McGuinness voiced a 'best of' series in 2020 of the show called Total Wipeout: Freddie and Paddy Takeover.

You may also like...