Seven die after drinking methanol hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

The handwash was drunk by the group of nine (Image: Mir24)

Get our daily coronavirus email newsletter with all the news you need to know direct to your inbox

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

Seven people have died and two more are in comas after drinking hand sanitiser at a party when they ran out of alcohol.

The group of nine drank the antiseptic hand wash at a party on Thursday in Tomtor village in the Yakutia region of Russia.

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59, while six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

On Friday three more men, aged 28, 32 and 69, had also died.

One more death was reported today, although their age and sex has not yet been released, while the other two remain in the intensive care unit.

They are being treated in Yakutia
(Image: Hospital 2 Yakutia)

Read More
Related Articles

  • Mum, 81, charged with killing her own son after fatal axe attack at their home

Read More
Related Articles

  • Man released after arrest in connection with 1974 Birmingham pub bombings

Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor reported: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.”

The regional state prosecutor said: “The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser.”

Partygoers drank the sanitiser which was 69 per cent methanol.

Two remain in hospital after the incident
(Image: Hospital 2 Yakutia)

Read More
Related Articles

  • Christmas lockdown survey – tell us what you think should happen after December 2

It had been sold as a hand cleanser during the pandemic.

Health officials warned locals not to drink the Russian-made antiseptic.

A criminal case has been opened.

You may also like...