‘Prince Harry thinks Diana probe silence being used to try and drive wedge with William’

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will start in8CancelPlay now

Get our daily royal round-up direct to your inbox

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

Prince Harry is said to be getting regular updates about an investigation into the controversial BBC Panorama interview with his mum Princess Diana.

A source close to the Duke of Sussex also suggested that some were attempting to use his silence about the probe to further divide the two Royal brothers.

The inside said the rumours were attempts to "drive a wedge between" Harry and his brother Prince William and he was "aware of everything that is happening", ITV News reports.

They said: "You do not need a public statement to imagine how he is feeling privately, people know how much his mother means to him.

"He has bravely spoken out in the past about loss and grief, and the immense impact it has had on him.

Prince Harry is claimed to be getting updates about the investigation
(Image: Getty Images)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Coronavirus briefing newsletter – a daily update with everything you need to know

Read More
Related Articles


  • Diana's brother Earl Spencer 'not at all satisfied' with BBC Panorama inquiry

"Sadly, some people are not just seeing this as a drive for truth, but also trying to use this as an opportunity to try to drive a wedge between the brothers."

Earlier this week the Duke of Cambridge publicly welcomed the investigation into Martin Bashir’s interview with his mum saying it was a “step in the right direction” and it "should help establish the truth behind the actions" that led to the programme.

The BBC has appointed retired judge, Lord Dyson, former master of the rolls, to lead an investigation into interview.

The interview included candid details about her marriage and the Prince of Wales’s rumoured relationship with Camilla Parker-Bowles, who is now his wife.

Diana during her interview with Martin Bashir for the BBC
(Image: PA)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Princess Diana: MPs consider separate inquiry into Martin Bashir BBC interview

During the interview Diana famously said: "Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded."

She also questioned Charles’s suitability as king during the explosive interview.

A month later, the Queen urged the separated couple to divorce, which they did in 1996.

The 36-year-old died in a car crash in Paris the following year.

Prince Harry with his Uncle Charles Spencer
(Image: PA)

Earl Spencer, Diana's brother, said he was "not at all satisfied" with the parameters of the inquiry.

He has previously claimed that ahead of the interview in 1995 Mr Bashir showed him fake bank statements which were used to help the reporter gain access to the princess.

On Friday Earl Spencer tweeted: “As I’ve told the BBC this evening, I’m not at all satisfied with the parameters they’ve set around their enquiry into the @BBCPanorama interview with Diana of 25 years ago tonight.

“Lord Dyson must be free to examine every aspect of this matter, from 1995 to today, as he sees fit.”

Princess Diana died in 1997
(Image: Getty Images)

The investigation will consider if BBC and Mr Bashir took inappropriate steps and to what extent those actions influenced Diana’s decision to give an interview.

The corporation also said the probe will look into if the BBC knew in 1995 and 1996 that a “mocked up bank statements purporting to show payments to a former employee of Earl Spencer (and) the purported payments to members of the Royal Households”.

The BBC claims Diana had written a note saying she did not see the false bank statements and they played no part in her decision to give the interview.

On Thursday, TV watchdog Ofcom said it will not launch its own investigation into the BBC Panorama controversy but will be following the independent inquiry "closely".

The BBC has refuted Earl Spencer's claims and insisted that the investigation has a sufficiently broad scope.

A spokesman for the corporation said: “The review is fully independent and the terms are suitably broad and wide-ranging.

“We hope that everyone will support Lord Dyson’s work in establishing the truth.”

The BBC said Mr Bashir, who is now its religion editor, is currently signed off from work as he is recovering from quadruple heart bypass surgery with significant complications after contracting coronavirus earlier his year.

You may also like...