Guards ‘broke Madeleine McCann suspect’s ribs with baton after he trashed his cell’

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will start in8CancelPlay now

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A paedophile suspected of abducting and murdering Madeleine McCann had his ribs broken during a "cell fight" with guards, it is claimed.

The fight is said to have erupted after Christian Brueckner, 43, was allegedly filmed by guards and covered his cell with yoghurt and blocked the toilet.

His lawyer, Friedrich Fulscher, claims guards attacked Brueckner with a baton after he refused to allow his legs to be shackled before a court hearing in Braunschweig, Germany. 

It is claimed Brueckner, who was pictured in public for the first time since he was named the chief suspect in the McCann case, threw a "tantrum" in his cell at the court building, smearing it with yoghurt and blocking the toilet with loo roll.

Brueckner was appearing in court as part of his appeal against a 21-month sentence for drug dealing.

Christian Brueckner (left) is helped into an ambulance outside a hospital
(Image: SplashNews.com)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Maddie McCann suspect Christian Brueckner pictured in chains 'after prison attack'

Read More
Related Articles


  • Madeleine McCann UK police 'join Lisbon summit to find where tot might be buried'

His lawyer claims he was assaulted by guards as he was held in a cell ahead of the hearing.

Mr Fulscher told the Sun: "The guards were filming my client via a TV monitor which was in his cell. I asked them to stop and to delete the footage.

"They refused and an argument started. This carried on and they attacked my client with a baton after he refused to put the prison shackles on. He suffered serious injuries, two broken ribs.

"Yes, he did dirty his cell but he was understandably angry at being filmed."

Brueckner is serving sentences for raping a woman and drugs offences
(Image: Carabinieri Milano via Getty Ima)

Madeleine was just days away from her fourth birthday when she went missing
(Image: METROPOLITAN POLICE/AFP via Gett)

Mr Fulscher said he involved a judge to make sure the video was deleted.

A court source told the newspaper that Brueckner was angry at being filmed and threw a "tantrum" in his cell, smearing it with yoghurt and blocking the toilet with loo roll.

The source claimed Brueckner "hurt himself" during a row when he refused to put his leg shackles on.

A judicial officer told two paramedics that there had been "rioting" in the cell, Bild reported.

Sources told Bild that Brueckner "vehemently resisted" putting the shackles on, leading to a fight between him and the guards.

Mr Fulscher has filed a complaint, and a regional court spokeswoman said an investigation is underway.

It is said that police were called to deal with the incident.

Photos show the convicted rapist and paedophile wearing handcuffs and leg shackles as he leaves A&E at a hospital in Braunschweig, about 180 miles from Kiel, the city where he is being held in prison.

Brueckner's lawyer claims guards hit his client with a baton
(Image: SplashNews.com)

Brueckner wears leg shackles as he is taken back to court
(Image: SplashNews.com)

Wearing blue jeans, a green jumper and a face mask due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Brueckner was seen walking into the back of an ambulance while accompanied by paramedics and security.

Monday's court hearing was part of Brueckner's appeal against a 21-month sentence for drug dealing.

Brueckner, who will be eligible for parole in early January, returned to the court after being treated in hospital and his hearing went ahead. No decision was made.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Click to play
Tap to play

The video will auto-play soon8Cancel

Play now

The paedophile was treated in a hospital in Braunschweig in northern Germany
(Image: SplashNews.com)

He is also serving a seven-year sentence for raping a 72-year-old American woman in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in September 2005.

Brueckner is appealing that sentence.

Madeleine, who was just days away from turning four, vanished from her parents' apartment at the Ocean Club complex about 18 months after that attack.

Brueckner, then 30, was living near Praia da Luz at the time and was travelling around the Algarve in a VW camper van, investigators have said.

Kate and Gerry McCann have not given up hope of their daughter being found alive
(Image: REUTERS)

(Image: METROPOLITAN POLICE HANDOUT/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

German prosecutors allege that he was on a 30-minute phone call outside the Ocean Club around the time Madeleine went missing in May 2007.

He had allegedly bragged to friends that he was “making thousands” from burgling holiday flats and hotel rooms in the Algarve.

The paedophile, who has been convicted of sexually abusing girls in Germany, has denied any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance, his lawyer has said.

British police recently met with German and Portuguese detectives in Lisbon to discuss the investigation.

The Ocean Club complex where Madeleine was last seen alive
(Image: PA)

Brueckner's lawyer Friedrich Fuelscher claims his client was assaulted
(Image: 9News)

Prosecutors in Germany are investigating Brueckner, but have admitted they do not have enough evidence to charge him in the McCann case.

Recently, the lead prosecutor, Hans Christian Wolters, said detectives have material evidence that Maddie is dead, but he admitted there is no "smoking gun" evidence.

Mr Wolters has previously said that German investigators suspect Brueckner of murdering the three-year-old, whose body has never been found despite a £12million probe spanning several countries.

Detectives suspect drifter Brueckner had help the night that the British girl vanished, the Portuguese Sexta As 9 TV programme has alleged.

A house in the Algarve linked to the convicted rapist and paedophile
(Image: PA)

A 1993 British Jaguar, model XJR 6 which has been linked to Brueckner
(Image: METROPOLITAN POLICE/AFP via Gett)

Brueckner's legal team has claimed it has new bombshell evidence that will clear him as a suspect in the McCann case.

It has been almost six months since Brueckner was publicly identified as the chief suspect in Madeleine's disappearance. He has not been questioned by investigators.

In June, when Brueckner was named as part of an appeal for tips, Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann said: "All we have ever wanted is to find her, uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice.

"We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive but whatever the outcome may be, we need to know as we need to find peace.

"We would like to thank the general public for their ongoing support and encourage anyone who has information directly related to the appeal, to contact the police."

A spokesperson for the Find Madeleine campaign said this summer: "Just wanted to thank everyone who continue to keep Madeleine and her family in your hearts.

"We still believe in miracles and hope you do too. We are grateful for your love and support."

You may also like...