Smart plugs sold on Amazon a ‘fire risk’, Which? warns
By Jane Wakefield
Publishedduration30 Septemberimage copyrightHictkonimage captionThe plug in question had a design flaw, found Which?
A smart plug for sale on Amazon poses a fire risk and people should immediately stop using it, an investigation by consumer watchdog Which? suggests.
Amazon said it had removed the Hictkon smart plug with dual USB ports from sale, pending investigation.
Its live connection was too close to an energy-monitoring chip, Which? found.
And this could cause an electrical discharge between two electrodes, posing a fire risk particularly in homes with older wiring.