Detectives question 4 men in UK over claims they committed genocide atrocities
Scenes in Rwanda from 1994 during the civil war (Image: Mirrorpix)
Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz
Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email
Detectives have quizzed four men living in the UK over claims they committed atrocities during the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
The men, from Kent, Essex, London and Manchester were voluntarily interviewed at police stations in September.
Officers from the Met’s War Crime Unit have previously been sent to the African country to collect evidence.
The force opened the case after a request from the Rwandan government asked them to probe five men in January 2018, and is still investigating.
It has previously said it would be a “protracted and lengthy process”.
(Image: Adam Gerrard / Daily Mirror)
In 100 days of violence which began on April 7, 1994, Hutus killed 70% of the Tutsi population, and up to 250,000 women and girls were raped.
One of the men questioned, Celestin Mutabaruka, 64, who lives in Kent, said he welcomed the chance to clear his name.
Mutabaruka told the Mirror last year: “I have nothing to hide.”
Vincent Bajinya, 59, a doctor who has acquired British citizenship and changed his surname name to Brown, has faced questions over his alleged involvement in genocide planning, as well as participation in the killings.
Dr Vincent Brown, formerly known as Vincent Bajinya
(Image: Philip Coburn)
Speaking at his flat in Islington, North London, he said last year: “I am not a criminal and I never did those things.”
He added: “I am not hiding.”
A third man is Celestin Ugirashebuja, 67, who is now a care worker living in Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex.
Ugirashebuja’s wife said last year that her husband was too sick to talk.
Emmanuel Nteziryayo, 58, a fourth questioned, now lives in Manchester.
(Image: Peter Lawson/Eastnews)
A fifth man originally sought for questioning had suffered a stroke.
He has not been quizzed by police.
A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said yesterday: “Investigators have interviewed four individuals. We will not be discussing lines of enquiry, including individuals we may or may not interview and the rationale for such decisions.
“All five individuals are alive.”
The force said it had interviewed a 67-year-old man in Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, a 64-year-old man from Ashford, Kent, and a 59-year-old man in south London on the same day.
They were not arrested and have since left the police stations they attended.
A few days later a 58-year-old man from Wythenshawe, Manchester, was voluntarily interviewed.
He was not arrested and has since left the police station.