Man left with severe burn injuries after spare vape battery caught fire in his pocket

Dan Vowles, 46, was finishing up a shift at work on November 1 when he began noticing his pocket getting warm

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A social care worker was left with severe burn injuries after a spare vape battery caught fire in his pocket.

Dan Vowles, 46, was finishing up a shift at work on November 1 when he began noticing his pocket getting warm.

The 46-year-old regularly takes spare vape batteries with him to work, ready to use when one battery loses charge.

But on this occasion, one of his spare batteries began "glowing red" in his pocket before causing horrific burn injuries to his hand and leg.

He has now described the moment he realised the vape was catching alight, seeing the battery "spark" and "flash" before his pocket set on fire.

Dan told Nottinghamshire Live : "I had finished work, I was just finishing off a few bits and bobs, I was due to come home and I felt my pocket get warm."

One of his spare batteries began "glowing red" in his pocket before causing horrific burn injuries to his hand and leg

Read More
Related Articles


  • Woman's body found after firefighters called to person on fire in woodland

Read More
Related Articles


  • Dominic Cummings axed over texts calling Boris Johnson's fiancee 'Princess Nut Nuts'

"I thought I'd left my vape turned on in my pocket and the button had been pressed, but when I looked down and put my hand in my pocket, that's when I noticed it spark.

"It sparked and then there was a flash, my pocket set on fire and the air turned blue with language.

"I shouted 'get me out, get me out', and the battery was glowing red after I had thrown it across the office.

"It was literally red hot, and when I went outside I noticed that my right hand had been burnt raw, the right hand side of my leg and the pocket was burnt.

"At the time I didn't think my leg was injured as much as it was, I thought my hand was more significantly injured.

"But as time has gone on, I think I had just gone into shock and it had numbed everything."

Dan was taken to hospital by colleagues before being transferred to the burns unit at  Nottingham's City Hospital.

While he says he is unsure exactly why the battery exploded, he fears it may be down to a fault or the battery not being "up to standard".

Dan was left with severe burns on his hand

Read More
Related Articles


  • Several people dead after coronavirus ward fire at Romanian hospital

Read More
Related Articles


  • Britain's most prolific speed camera has fined drivers £5.7million in three years

"It was a freak accident, but I don't think I'll be carrying spare batteries in my pocket again," he added.

"I wouldn't advise anybody to carry batteries in their pocket.

"I don't know what the solution would be for people who need their spare batteries.

"It's put me in a cautious position because I put my batteries on charge overnight, but I've never had an issue with it. Nothing's ever happened.

"I've known peoples' batteries blow up while connected to the vape, but that's because the button has been pressed for too long and it's allowed the current to flow.

"But for a battery on its own to blow up, there's something wrong there. "

Speaking following Dan's incident,  Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service  have issued a warning to people about the dangers of electronic cigarette fires.

Chris Emmott, group manager for the fire service, said: “This is a reminder of the dangers vapes and vape batteries can cause.

"We want to urge the public to remain vigilant when purchasing batteries by making sure they are from a recognised and reputable trader.

"Never use damaged equipment or batteries and do not use counterfeit goods.

“Please remember when charging a vape to only use the charger designed specifically for the vape.

"Users should never charge them overnight and once they are fully charged they should be turned off and unplugged to avoid a potential electrical fire."

Dan has now set up a fundraising page to support the burns unit at the hospital.

The fundraiser has raised more than £500 since being set up last week.

You may also like...