One of the many films to world premiere at this year’s Sundance Film Festival was Velvet Buzzsaw. Written and directed by Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler), the supernatural thriller takes place in the Los Angeles contemporary art world and the less you know about the plot the better. Trust me, I caught Velvet Buzzsaw without knowing too much about the twists and turns but I had such a great time with the film. Like Gilroy’s last movie, it’s got a fantastic Jake Gyllenhaal performance and also stars Rene Russo, Toni Collette, Zawe Ashton, Tom Sturridge, Natalia Dyer, Daveed Diggs, Billy Magnussen, and John Malkovich. For more on the film, you can read Matt Goldberg’s review. It’s now streaming on Netflix.
Shortly before seeing the film, I got to sit down with Dan Gilroy and Zawe Ashton for an extended interview. During the wide-ranging conversation, they talked about being at Sundance, where the idea for the film came from, how they designed the art in the film, what it was like working with Netflix, how the film changed in the editing room, and so much more.
In addition, they played “Get To Know Your Sundance Attendee” which includes a number of questions like what TV show they’d like to guest-star on, what’s their favorite fantasy or sci-fi movie, what film scared them as a kid, their first movie or TV show crush, if they prefer Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, what got them interested in the entertainment industry, and a lot of other fun stuff.
I’d also like to take a moment to give special thanks to our Collider Studio partner, the all new 2020 Kia Telluride, which was transporting filmmakers to our studio in celebration of the debut of the all new model, Kia’s first eight-passenger SUV that is several inches longer and wider than the brand’s award-winning Sorento.
Libations flowing at the Collider studio and parties were provided by LIFEWTR, Tequila Comisario, Sensi Tuscany Wines, Blue Moon Belgian White and Dragonfly Coffee Roasters. Food during the evening parties was provided by Greene St. Kitchen of Palms Casino Resort helmed by Chef Du Cuisine Lanny Chin. Brand partners also active during the day-part include mou, a luxury footwear and accessories line, and The Wild Immersion endorsed by Jane Goodall who was on-site with the world’s first ‘virtual reserve’.
Check out what they had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about.
Dan Gilroy and Zawe Ashton:
- Are they nervous to world premiere the film at Sundance?
- Zawe talks about what the film is about and who she plays.
- Where did the idea for Velvet Buzzsaw come from?
- Dan talks about where the art in the film came from.
Who owns the art from the film?
- Did he write the script with certain actors in mind?
- How is Dan on set with his dialogue?
- How was it working with Netflix?
- How did the film change in the editing room?
- They play Get to Know Your Attendee.
- What TV show would Zawe like to guest star on and what would Dan like to guest direct?
- Do they have a favorite sci-fi or fantasy film?
- What film scared them as a kid?
- Do they collect anything?
What was their first movie or TV show crush?
- Do they own and movie or TV show props?
- What’s the background photo on their phone?
- Have they watched any TV show all the way through more than once?
- Star Wars or Star Trek?
- Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad?
- Han Solo or Indiana Jones?
- Do they remember what it was that got them interested in the entertainment industry?